QB Winery Solutions is an enterprise started by Jeanette Tan that serves the financial needs of wineries using QuickBooks. Of the 7,000 wineries in the Untied States, over 72% produce under 5,000 cases. (If Wines and Vines included the 5,000 to 10,000 case wineries instead of lumping them with other “Small” wineries up to 50,000 cases, this number would be even larger.)
These are the Startups, the Limited Production, and the Very Small, and these are the ones most in need of financial coaching. As it turns out, the majority of these wineries are also using QuickBooks, so we have provided a series of QuickBooks trainings, procedures for the wine industry including wine costing, and other useful information specific to this size winery.
Services are available through instant downloads for the DIY folks, group coaching for the patient ones, and one-on-one consulting for the ones with urgent needs.
Here are a few quick facts about Jeanette Tan:
- She ran her family’s French Restaurant for 10 years, so she has been in the trenches and knows what owners of small businesses go through each day. Thus she speaks English, although she can speak accounting-ese when interfacing with tax preparers and CPAs.
- She lived on Maui for 20 years, moving there as part of the management team that opened the Four Seasons Resort in Wailea. For some reason she traded her free-room-night benefits for the mad cap life of a free lance consultant.
- She became the go-to QuickBooks ProAdvisor on Maui and worked with businesses in almost every industry on the island, thus she became very good at customizing QuickBooks for each company’s business processes.
- She was also a SCORE counselor and gave a QuickBooks class for the SBA and the Maui County Business Resource Center every other Monday for three years.
- In 2009 she moved to Sonoma County in search of better food and better schools and was determined to transition to the wine industry, because she had been flirting with the wine industry for years. She thinks she was the only person living in Paradise who dreamed of living in Wine Country.
- She had one of the first wine bars in Los Angeles and featured over a dozen California wines by the glass. She regularly had Dinners with the Winemaker (in the mid 80’s this was still a new thing).
- She made a batch of barrel fermented chardonnay by chilling it in the restaurant’s walk-in, winning a blue ribbon from the local home winemaker’s club. She even took a leave of absence from the Four Seasons to work an entire harvest as a cellar rat for Dry Creek Vineyards.
- Once in Wine Country all she had to learn was how to cost the wine. For that she thanks Christine Bean, the Controller at KJ and Lance Spears of the Hoffman Group for pointing her in the right direction.
As a Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor she works exclusively with small and boutique wineries using QuickBooks. She can work on-site or remotely (Hey Australia, let’s talk). Call her at 707-634-7757 to discuss what tools, training and support will help you stop worrying about the books so you can go back to worrying about that stuck fermentation.